This page contains release notes for each of Emsi’s quarterly US dataruns from the 2018.1 datarun forward. The release notes contain information on major methodology changes included with each datarun.
- The Upcoming Changes section outlines major changes users can expect to see in the next datarun.
- The Current Release Notes section lists the changes and updates introduced with the latest datarun available in Analyst/Developer.
- The Dataset Chart lists the major sources that go into Emsi data and what “vintage” (year, month, etc.) of each source was used for each of the past four dataruns.
- The Older Release Notes section contains release notes for prior dataruns.
There are currently no major upcoming changes.
Current Release Notes
We have updated out geography classification. There are several aspect to this change:
- We changed the codes used to represent the LAU1 regions from the now-defunct Standard Names and Codes (SNAC) 4-character codes to the current standard used by the ONS: Government Statistical Service (GSS) 9-character codes.
- We updated the NUTS3 portion of the classification from NUTS 2006 to NUTS 2013 definition. All NUTS1 codes remain the same and a number of NUTS3 codes were changed or added. Note that due to incompatibilities between Scottish NUTS3 and LAU1 regions, we have replaced the Scottish NUTS3 regions with a single NUTS3 region for each underlying LAU1 region.
- The classification now includes Northern Ireland. Previously, our data only covered Great Britain (England, Wales, and Scotland). The codes for the United Kingdom, Great Britain, England, Wales, Scotland, and Northern Ireland have also use GSS codes.
Add Northern Ireland Self-Employment Data
The Northern Ireland Census and Business Register and Employment Survey do not cover industry self-employment data. We estimate Northern Ireland self-employment by multiplying the ratio of self-employed to employed persons in Wales by Northern Ireland employment.
Bolded items indicate an update.
|Name||2020.1 Datarun||2019.1 Datarun||2018.1 Datarun|
|Business Register Employment Survey (BRES)||2018||2017||2016|
|Workforce Jobs Series (WJS)||Q2 2019||Q2 2018||Q2 2017|
|Department for Environment, Food, and Rural Affairs (DEFRA)||England: 2016 Wales: 2019||2016||2016|
|Annual Survey of Hours and Earnings (ASHE)||2019||2018||2017|
|Annual Population Survey (APS)||Q2 2019||Q2 2018||Q2 2017|
|Labour Force Survey (LFS)||2015||2015||2015|
|Mid-Year Population Estimates||2018||2017||2016|
|Census for England, Wales, and Scotland||2011||2011||2011|
Older Release Notes
Additional Industry Detail
Emsi industry data now includes detail for the Finance, Insurance, and Public Administration industries. Previously, the three and four-digit industry codes detail were aggregated together as a single three or four-digit code. Now, those industries are broken out in the following standard SIC 2007 codes:
64 – Financial service activities, except insurance and pension funding
641 – Monetary intermediation
6411 – Central banking
6419 – Other monetary intermediation
642 – Activities of holding companies
6420 – Activities of holding companies
643 – Trusts, funds and similar financial entities
6430 – Trusts, funds and similar financial entities
649 – Other financial service activities, except insurance and pension funding
6491 – Financial leasing
6492 – Other credit granting
6499 – Other financial service activities, except insurance and pension funding, n.e.c.
65 – Insurance, reinsurance and pension funding, except compulsory social security
651 – Insurance
6511 – Life insurance
6512 – Non-life insurance
652 – Reinsurance
6520 – Reinsurance
653 – Pension funding
6530 – Pension funding
66 – Activities auxiliary to financial services and insurance activities
661 – Activities auxiliary to financial services, except insurance and pension funding
6611 – Administration of financial markets
6612 – Security and commodity contracts brokerage
6619 – Other activities auxiliary to financial services, except insurance and pension funding
662 – Activities auxiliary to insurance and pension funding
6621 – Risk and damage evaluation
6622 – Activities of insurance agents and brokers
6629 – Other activities auxiliary to insurance and pension funding
663 – Fund management activities
6630 – Fund management activities
84 – Public administration and defence; compulsory social security
841 – Administration of the State and the economic and social policy of the community
8411 – General public administration activities
8412 – Regulation of the activities of providing health care, education, cultural services and other social services, excluding social security
8413 – Regulation of and contribution to more efficient operation of businesses
842 – Provision of services to the community as a whole
8421 – Foreign affairs
8422 – Defence activities
8423 – Justice and judicial activities
8424 – Public order and safety activities
8425 – Fire service activities
843 – Compulsory social security activities
8430 – Compulsory social security activities
Corrected Scottish Demographics
National Records of Scotland identified an error in the Scottish mid-year population estimates for 2002 to 2010 affecting the age distribution of older age groups which made the 90+ population too small and the population of those aged 81 to 89 too large. Corrected population estimates were published on 25 September 2018 and Emsi has updated our population demographics data to include this fix. Further information on the error can be found here.
Removed Working Futures
The UK Commission for Employment and Skills, the organization that published Working Futures projections, closed in March 2017. Because Working Futures projections will no longer be updated and continuing to adjust to them limited the length of Emsi’s projection, we have removed the adjustment to Working Futures. Projections are now 10 years from the latest BRES release.